Quality Assurance Engineers: In-House Vs. Outsourcing Software Testing
Fixing a problem late in the game costs twice as much as resolving an issue during the initial stages of the project. Software testing statistics depict that detecting and fixing issues before production yields long-term savings, not to mention, plays a pivotal role in customer satisfaction. Testing teams should gather individuals with various skill sets to cover a broad range of issues. The team should follow the complete lifecycle of the product and ensure the final success.
Let’s have a quick look at some of the interesting facts and statistics about software testing.
Did you know that almost 56% of software testers are self-taught? And only 5% of companies use fully automated testing? Not only this, 24% of companies saw an instant increase in ROI once they started automated testing. 44% of IT companies automated 50% of testing in 2020. Furthermore, 35% of companies hire or use non-testers for software testing. IT and telecom hold 20% of the software testing market share. In addition, 20% of the demand for software testing comes from the Federal and State governments. The testing industry in the United States is worth $6.3 billion back in 2021. Also, the software market size surpasses $40 billion back in 2020.
Woah! Such statistics are not less than a rollercoaster ride. Right?
But wait, there’s more.
Keep reading to know the advantages and disadvantages of in-house as well as outsourcing QA testing. Let’s dive in.
In-house QA Testing
In-house development incurs significantly greater expenses because of operational, infrastructure, and HR costs. In addition, the entire process of hiring an in-house SQA Engineer can take a lot of time as compared to the testing procedure considerably.
Following are the advantages of in-house QA testing:
- Having your employees working as per certain requirements will be a tremendous time saver as you don’t have to spend extra time briefing requirements to an outside firm.
- You are at minimal risk for confidentiality breaches with your employees involved in the quality assurance services.
- There are few to no possibilities of illicit activities as all operations are carried out under one roof.
- It feels relatively safer to rely on in-house employees with sensitive information as compared to an outsider.
- You can communicate with in-house employees effortlessly and effectively.
Following are the disadvantages of in-house QA testing:
- Cost is one of the most notable disadvantages which is associated with in-house QA testing.
- An in-house QA testing team generally handles several projects with a strict timeline. It usually makes them reluctant about other possible scenarios that are beyond particular test cases.
- There are high chances that some crucial testing scenarios are skipped unintentionally, which can cause some uninvited production issues.
Outsourcing QA Testing
In contrast to in-house QA testing, the outsourcing software testing team is significantly a better choice because such teams have all the necessary tools required to perform effective software testing. Such services also excel in terms of expertise.
Following are the advantages of outsourcing QA testing:
- You can launch your product immediately because you get things done parallel, so there are high chances for your business to evolve.
- Using an external company for QA testing helps in achieving better quality in your software testing because they usually employ testers who are experts in different software testing methodologies.
- You can get access to a skilled resource that your in-house team lacks within no time.
Following are the disadvantages of outsourcing QA testing:
- Giving detailed instructions to the outsourced QA can be hectic since plenty of time needs to be spent writing the procedures or putting them together into a complicated document.
- You have to train that person thoroughly and explain everything about your project via audio/video call.
- There are high chance that your secret program or code gets disclosed to your competitors.
What Should Your Business Do Before Starting Outsourcing Software Testing?
While outsourcing software testing is crucial, your organization should perform certain things before engaging with the testing service provider. This can help your organization make the testing procedure more efficient.
You have to clarify your goals to the testing vendor you choose after persuasive research. That’s why you need to perform mobilization with the testing service. In this phase, your company will formulate a service contract, construct Service Level Agreements (SLAs) as well as develop a Statement of Work (SoW).
- Appoint a Senior QA Manager
Although any outsourced testing service can easily manage the testing procedure on its own, having an experienced QA manager on your team plays a pivotal role in optimizing the testing procedure. The professional can overview the testing strategy, bug, plans, and test cases and mediate conflicts effectively.
- Streamline Workflow
You and the outsourced testing service provider will use several factors, including software requirements, the number of detected bugs, the number of resolved bugs, and the current as well as updated codebase as points of reference. That is why it is essential to clarify a number of things before the testing procedure initiates.
- Ensure Complete Cooperation of Your Development Team
Striking a balance between the development and testing of software is a challenge in every software development environment. However, the probabilities of conflicts and disagreements are even higher between the development and testing teams when appointing an external team for testing.
Even if that’s not the case, development teams are often reluctant to communicate openly with the testing team. While the presence of the senior QA manager can make the situation considerably better, you also need to motivate your development team to cooperate with the testing team and openly convey their reservations.
Hire Software Testing Team at ArhamSoft (Pvt) Ltd
A small problem in software structure and design can irrevocably cause significant issues in its applications. Innumerable obstacles, which include delayed response time, downtime, and poor usability can result in significant losses to a business.
You need to consider outsourcing a software testing team to prevent such problems from affecting your business that can detect all core issues in the early phases and ensure that there are no errors left after software deployment.
Arhamsoft (Pvt) Ltd is one of the pioneer software testing service providers in the IT industry. Since its inception, the company has been providing software testing services around the globe to different companies of all domains, from healthcare to finance to retail and technology. The company provides its clients with core e-commerce web testing services, ranging from reliable usability testing, performance testing, mobile testing, integration testing, security testing, black box testing, white box testing, gray box testing, and much more.
Click here to hire QA engineers today!