What Are the Software Development Methodologies? Why Should You Use Them?
Software development methodologies are a battle between pragmatism and dogmatism. Pragmatism is pulling together that works at the moment. On the flip side, dogmatism is people who just have a zeal – they say that this way is the only way, and all is lost if you deviate from this way.
The intent of software development methodology? To help you develop best software development projects.
According to Statista, here’s the breakdown of software development methodologies practiced around the globe in 2022.
|Characteristic||Share of Respondents|
Keep the ball rolling to find out what are software development methodologies, why to use them, and which methodology works better for you.
What is a Software Development Methodology?
For those of you who don’t know, software development methodology is a process or series of processes that software development teams use during project development. Basically, it is a blend of pragmatic realism and design philosophies that stretches back to the early days of computing. The agenda is to supply a systematic approach to software development.
The IT industry introduced many software development methodologies throughout the years to capitalize on available resources and technologies. These methodologies offer a platform for developers to work as a team in the most efficient way possible. It determines information sharing within the team and formalizes communication.
Several IT industries admit that employing a software development methodology is significant for their team. However, the subject of which methodology is appropriate remains the question. That’s because there is not one, but a plethora of methodologies, each having its own pros and cons.
Why Use Software Development Methodology?
One point we emphasize is: it is important for the software houses of this modern age to choose a software development methodology and apply it with discipline throughout the project. Keep in mind that you are welcoming innumerable risks when you do not pay much attention to the acquisition of suitable software development methodology.
Lack of structured guidance results in the developers suffering from ever-changing requests of the customers or more when there are miscommunications. That leads to the frequent revision of the software without taking the overall implications of the project under consideration. The result will be a waste of money, time, and effort with the risk of producing a subpar application that does not bring much to the table.
The agenda of software development methodologies is to benefit both customers and the development team. Picking the right methodology ensures that decisions are made after the evaluation of all factors and discussions are conducted on proper channels. In addition, the utilization of software development methodology provides more accurate delivery time and permits the team to cut down on inefficiency. Also, it prevents the team from reacting to every input but lets them be more organized and structured instead when dealing with spontaneous changes.
Well-Known Software Development Methodologies
Developers in this modern age of technological innovations and advancements are overindulged in choices from the several software development methodologies available. The majority of the methodologies fall under categories like waterfall, continuous and iterative models.
- Waterfall methodology: The waterfall methodology follows a particular sequence of implementation. Meaning that stages of development are defined in a sequential and rigid manner. This model is extremely popular during the initial days of programming because of the certainty of project scope. However, the rigidity of its structure also contributes to a high failure rate for several projects.
- Iterative methodology: The iterative model provides an alternative for software development that is less focused on rigid documentation but offers room for continuous revisions. It utilizes multiple sprints to swiftly develop and test ideas to ensure they are suitable for users. As such, problems get resolved initially, and the team stays within the goal of the project. Two of the most popular iterative software development methodologies are scrum and agile.
- Continuous methodology: The continuous model is inspired by the Toyota Production System. It is merely about ensuring the flow between different phases of development and deterring interruption. The intent of a continuous software development approach is to enhance the efficiency of various phases and improve efficiency.
The following are the most popular types of software development methodologies that modern developers and solution providers favor:
- Lean Development Methodology
- Joint Application Development Methodology
- Extreme Programming Methodology
- Dynamic Systems Development Model Methodology
- Spiral Model
- Rapid Application Development (RAD) Methodology
- Feature Driven Development
- Prototype Methodology
- Waterfall Model
- Scrum Development Methodology
- DevOps Methodology
- Agile Software Development Methodology
Software development methodologies offer a guided approach to developing applications and software solutions. They have been in use since the early days of programming and remain crucial for modern developers.
Since new methodologies are introduced throughout the years, there is not one that prevailed over others. Picking the appropriate software development methodology depends on several things such as project requirements, team structure, budget, goals, and several other underlying factors.
Now that you have reached this part of the content, we hope that you have a clear picture in your mind about which methodology fits your team best with the detailed descriptions.
With 250+ experts in several technologies, we at ArhamSoft (Pvt) Ltd use the best software development methodologies and industry standards to cater to different business interests, needs, and challenges. In addition, we have developed a full-fledged offshore outsourcing division to provide IT services to clients around the globe through dedicated resources. We are always on our toes to build a project to perfection using best industry practices and contemporary technology stack.
We also offer compelling services such as web development, mobile application development, web/graphic designing, blockchain development, game development, search engine optimization, and digital marketing.
So what is holding you back? Contact us now and start your journey with us to bring your idea to life.